The name of the village is thought to derive from the personal name Teotta and halh, meaning valley. Mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, Tettenhall village is one of only a handful of places in England to have two village greens. Tettenhall Upper Green is situated on high ground near the edge of a ridge that runs in a broadly East-West direction, from Aldersley to Perton.
During the 19th Century the village grew as a residential area for the rich business families of the Black Country. Today Tettenhall is part of Wolverhampton with a large population but it has retained its village atmosphere.
With thanks to Bev Parker from the Wolverhampton History Society for his permission to use the old photographs in this section.
These photographs form part of Hannah’s Gold Arts Award which she is undertaking at the Wolverhampton Grand Theatre.
This house once had a well known butchers shop attached to it. On the right corner is a pair of semi detached villas dated mid 19th Century.
It then turned up Old Hill, the steepness of which caused it to be a notorious problem, and so through the village and out again, rejoining the present line of the Shifnal Road near the Summerhouse. On the right is the listed building The Rock House built around 1720-30, in 1920 the former ballroom was donated to the Roman Catholic church for use as a chapel and community hall until 1965.