Notable English seaman whose fine monument can still be seen at St Peter’s Wolverhampton. See also Mary Fitton his one time mistress who lived in Perton.Lisle Family Of Upper Green, and Moseley Hall, they were the original owners of the Star Motor Company at the turn of the last century
Lisle Family Of Upper Green, and Moseley Hall, they were the original owners of the Star Motor Company at the turn of the last century.
An industrial family who made their fortune in the paint business. They owned many properties in Wolverhampton, the most noteworthy being Wightwick Manor. Next to the old building, the home of the Wightwicks for many years, they built a new house in mock Tudor style, now owned by the National Trust. It was decorated by William Morris and the Pre-Raphaelites and the house is a remarkable example of their style.
The Manders also built the Mount Hotel with its ballroom specially built for the 21st birthday of one of the Mander daughters.
The family were very influential in Tettenhall village and had a strong reputation for deeds of charity throughout Wolverhampton.
Spent some time in Wolverhampton and Tettenhall at the start of the last century. Tettenhall is mentioned (as an inspiration?) in the first volume of his poems.
Early 19th Century Blacksmith family after whom Orme’s Lane is named.
Sometime mayor of Wolverhampton, he was a prosperous tin plate manufacturer who build a fine house on what is now the South Staffs Golf Course. His house no longer stands.
14th Century son of a wealthy landowning family, killed by Sir Hugh Wrottesley following a long standing family and property feud.
Another contemporary and rival of Sir Hugh Wrottesley. He petitioned the King, Richard II, about Sir Hugh’s continuous attempts to ambush him!
Local historian and poet (born in Pendeford 1749 – died 1823) greatly interested in the farming revolution. Wrote: the “Agricultural History of Staffordshire”.
17th Century Local historian.
Headmaster pf St Michael’s school in the village for nearly half a century. Died 1824.
Local historian who published a history of Staffordshire in 1801.
Vicar of Tettenhall.
Formidable landlord of the Mermaid in the late 1800’s.
Enterprising landlord of the Rock Villa (originally called the old Rose and Crown and now know simply as The Rock). He established their gardens in 1843 “for the pleasure and amusement of the public” with a fountain, bandstand and bowling green.
Village headmaster and teacher who had received no formal training, who lost his post in 1858 when St Michael’s school was reoganised. Later became Parish Clerk and a dedicated gravestone recarver.
Great benefactors of Tettenhall. Mrs. Swindley in particular left a great deal of land to the village, including all that land from the Paddling Pool to the Cricket Ground and she also left the freehold of that fine ground to Wolverhampton Cricket Club. Tiny, accidental reminders of Mr and Mrs Swindley are metal posts with the initials ES inscribed on them, not far from the Paddling Pool. They once marked the boundary of land leased to a nearby farm.
People of Tettenhall A–I – People of Tettenhall J–S
People of Tettenhall T–Z – The Wrottesley Family