Other Listed Properties

Other Listed Properties

Rock House – Old Hill

Lorem ipsumDeserved winner of a special Civic Trust award in 1974 for restoration. Now owned by the Express & Star and used as a training centre. Originally built around 1725 by Francis Smith. Old Hill itself was the original (very steep) road into Tettenhall before the cutting into the hill was made to form the Holyhead Road in around 1822.

Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

The Bungalow, Church Road, Tettenhall

Lorem ipsum

It was specified that the occupiers of the houses were entitled to use ‘the privies and outbuildings and hollows in rocks upon the adjoining land of the Vendor’.

Documents relating to the Bungalow shown above, former home of the Reverend Wilfrid Henry Goode (d. 1949) and his wife who are themselves buried in Tettenhall churchyard, can be found here.

Tettenhall Towers now Tettenhall College – Wood Road

Lorem ipsumAnother extraordinary building, well worth a visit on one of its open days. Now a thriving independent school it was built around 1770 but much altered in the 1820s. It is still somehow dominated by the spirit of former owner Colonel Thorneycroft who was interested, among other things, in the development of ventilation and heating and some of his innovations are incorporated in the building.

Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Tettenhall Pumping Station – Regis Road

Lorem ipsumA wonderful landmark of one of Tettenhall’s residential streets. Standing as a memorial to the old Wolverhampton Waterworks Company, this Pump house, circa 1845 by Henry J. Marlem. An early example of a cathedral-like municipal water works building.

Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

The Old Windmill – Windmill Lane

Lorem ipsumTower mill, now house, dated 1720. There aren’t many windmills left in and around Wolverhampton to remind us of the city’s agricultural passed. Another one exists in Mill Lane, also now a house, but it is not currently listed.

Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Stockwell House – Stockwell Road

Lorem ipsum Built around 1758 with additions, a lovely Tettenhall landmark residential building.Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Stockwell End House and attached outbuilding and walls – Stockwell Road

Lorem ipsum

A good Tettenhall example of the Arts and Craft mock tudor genre.
Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

The Old Farmhouse – Stockwell Road

Lorem ipsum Nice example of an original farm house adapted as a residence. A ground floor window has the date 1520.Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

19 (North Cottage) and 20 Upper Green

Lorem ipsum

Two pretty houses, early 19th Century.
Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Gorsty Hayes Manor House

Lorem ipsum Haywood Drive Not a great deal is know about this property, now two dwellings, except that it is listed!Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

More House (Gorsty Hayes Cottage) – Haywood Drive

Lorem ipsum

House, originally said to be hunting lodge built in the late 16th Century..
Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Toll Cottage (Stonecroft), 74 Wrottesley Road

Lorem ipsum In the days when Wrottesley Road was the main turnpike out of Wolverhampton, this building was used as a toll house – hence its present name.

The original part of the house was built in 1627.Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Avenue House Lodge and flanking gates and piers – The Rock

Lorem ipsum

No one traveling along the main road to and from Tettenhall can miss this property. Built around 1840 presumeably after the cutting was made for the new road, now the A41.

There is also a story of the building’s thoughtful restoration by the current owner follow the link below.
Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Drinking Fountain – Upper Green, Wergs Rd

Lorem ipsumVictorian drinking fountain located on Tettenhall Upper Green and dated 1898.

The fountain was presented by Horatio Gibbs Powell.

Further Information: www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk

Back