Wightwick Manor (Grade 1)
Wightwick Old Manor House (Grade 2*)
The Old Malthouse (Grade 2*)
Stable Buildings (Grade 2)
Various features around Wightwick Manor (Grade 2)
The largest collection of listed buildings within the entire Borough, owned by the National Trust and well worth a visit if you’ve never been.
Wightwick Manor itself was built in 1887 and extended 1893 by Edward Ould for Theodore Mander with interior design by William Morris and C. E. Kempe. The house is an important example of the architecture and design of the late 19th Century, containing much work by the leading designers of the day; one of only a few such houses.
There are many other architecturally important buildings and special features in its grounds.
Wightwick House – Wightwick Bank
Standing just about Wightwick Manor, the house is early 19th Century.
The Old Windmill – Windmill Lane
Tower mill, now house, dated 1720. There aren’t many windmills left in and around Wolverhampton to remind us of the city’s agricultural past. Another one exists in Mill Lane, also now a house, but it is not currently listed.
Built around 1845 with later alterations by Edward Banks, with interior design work by William Morris and Co dating from 1895. The building has seen many notable owners, from industrialists to town mayors and was also a nurses home for a time.
But it now belongs to Compton Hospice.
The First Mayor of Wolverhampton, George Benjamin Thorneycroft, 1791-1851, lived here.
A fine gentleman’s residence now used as offices. When built it was on the outskirts of Wolverhampton, on the fashionable way to Tettenhall.
The Ely Hotel – 53 Tettenhall Road
House, now a hotel circa 1845.
A very respectable gentleman’s residence. For many years it was run as a private girls’ school and for some years since has been a hotel and restaurant.
Former School and Library – School Road, Tettenhall Wood
Victorian school building later used as a library
A typical gentleman’s residence, now part of the Wolverhampton Rehabilitation Hospital. But this one has a funny little building at the back.
Bryan Youngs, when working at the hospital made enquiries about it. He wrote: “Apparently this was used as a weeping chapel: when any of the women staying at the West Park Hospital, when it was the Women’s Hospital, had lost someone close to them, they were allowed to go to the chapel to weep or just be alone for a while”.
(Miss Stokes’ Church)
Built between 1867-9 by W. H. Bidlake. With a later 19th Century spire by T. H. Fleeming and decorated in Gothic style. Interestingly, the church was built in advance of any population requirements of the time at the expense of Miss Stokes, a local resident, for her convenience! And her money ran out before the spire was erected.
Wolverhampton’s prettiest park with a host of special buildings and structures including the Conservatory, Clock Tower, shelters, chalets and lodges and the fully restored Bandstand.
(New Merridale Farm)
Now an award winning museum and park.
Wolverhampton’s Blue Plaques in Tettenhall and Wightwick.
Further Information: www.historywebsite.co.uk